Thursday, October 30, 2008

Registration, registration.

This week all students came back from fall break to find registration forms in their mail boxes! I know I'm such a dork for saying this...but figuring out which classes I'm going to take next semester is extremely exciting to me. For the past three semesters, I've gotten into my first choice of classes. So here's what I've got so far...

English: Poetry Aloud 4 credits
English: Contemporary Literature 4 credits
Communication: American Public Address 4 credits
Communication: Speech Practicum AKA Speakers Bureau 1 credit
Sociology: Intro to Sociology 4 credits
Education: Business, Education, and Economics in Jamaica 2 credits

The last class that I have listed is actually a "Maymester." Right after commencement, a few different departments offer students (regardless of their major) the opportunity to travel for 2-3 weeks to another country. In order to go, students usually have to take a course during the spring semester to gain knowledge about the place they're going. The cost is really minimal (they reand from $300 to $2800...mine is going to cost $1500), and for those students who aren't going to get the chance to go abroad, it's an excellent opportunity to have an experience in another country. I'm really excited about going! Even though I'm an English major, I'm really interested in educational policy. This will be an awesome chance to see what the educational system is like in Jamaica. Also, I'm going to Chicago in the Spring of 2010 for the Urban Studies Program. There I'll be able to supplement what I've learned in Jamaica by interning for someone who analyzes educational policy for a living. These two experiences will hopefully help me deicde what I want to do after I graduate from Ripon...graduate school for educationl policy? I hope so!

Off to do some work!

No comments: