Monday, March 23, 2009

Guess who's back?

Today is the first day back from spring break. I had an awesome week off - I pretty much did whatever I wanted for an entire week. I still had a few things that I had to do...appointments, homework, etc., but all in all it was a good time. On Tuesday, I landed a co-coordinator position with a middle school in the school district in my hometown. I'll be working and helping map out the middle school summer program. It's a lot of responsibility and work as I'll be the third top person in charge of an entire middle school, but after I'm done I know I'll feel really accomplished. I worked for the program last summer in a different position and I felt so fulfilled after the program was finished. Plus, the pay is outstanding! So that was excellent news. Because the program is only 6 weeks long and I want money for when I live in Chicago next year, I'm hoping to get a second job at a golf course by my house. I hear about that this week!

Everyone is busy this week registering for classes next semester and meeting with their advisors to get schedules approved. I have meetings today and tomorrow. The classes I've chosen are...

Foundations in English Literature
Creative Writing: Poetry
Applied Communication
Elementary Statistics
Speakers Bureau

...for a total of 17 credits. I decided to take a peotry writing class after Patricia Smith (award-winning poet) visited our campus. I wrote my first ever poem today about her. It's called "Patricia Smith." It's a persona piece about her as a performer...she was amazing to watch, and I wanted to think about what must be going on in her head before she reads a poem. Here it is:

I am a performer.
I love to hear the spoken word.
How my words hit the air, pierce it and leave it wounded
Begging me for more.

I crave the stage -
I've gotta have lights and an audience.
Feel the warmth of the spotlight,
Feel the energy of the people.

This rush
is what poetry is.
And this feeling
is what I have come to long for.

This is my muse:
To know that the house is packed
To walk out onto the stage, my stage
...and perform.

Well, there you have it...my first ever poem. It's rough, I know, but it was fun to write. I should go get started on some work :) Unfortunately it's dark and drizzly outside and I'd give anything to go back to my room and crawl into my bed. Hope it's nicer weather wherever you are!

No comments: