Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Some thoughts...

Tomorrow night Patricia Smith is coming to Ripon to read some of her poetry and do a signing afterward. Back in the day, she worked for the Boston Globe and was a Pulitzer Prize nominee for her journlaism. Now, she's the four-time National Slam Poetry champion. From what I know of her, I'm guessing she'll be nothing short of absolutely amazing. She's going to be reading from her new book Blood Dazzler, which is all about Hurricaine Katrina. It's very interesting, and I highly recommend it for those of you interested in poetry (and for those of you who aren't...I never thought I could like poetry as much as I did before this semester!). She'll also be visting both my Poetry Aloud and Contemporary Literature classes. It should be a really good chance to pick her brain and ask her some questions. I love author visits...I feel really lucky to have these kinds of opportunities!

Other than that, not a whole lot going on on the homefront. We had our dance competition on Sunday and it went pretty well. We got some constructive criticism as always. As I mentioned in my last blog, now we have a break for about a month, which is going to be fabulous! I'm really starting to get excited and geared up for spring break. Actually, I'm getting antsy! I thought I was going to have all this free time, but it turns out I have lots of little loose ends and appointments I need to take care of over break. MERH! I'll still be able to hang out with friends and I guess in the end, you have to do what you have to do. I mean...I should probably do things like go to the dentist so I don't end up with dentures, right? Yeah, sounds like the best plan.

No comments: